ES - Re: response to role playing

baron at elfsea.ansteorra.org baron at elfsea.ansteorra.org
Mon Aug 14 08:05:19 PDT 2000

Quoting Ori Pomerantz <ori at simple-tech.com>:
<snip>
> 	This brings us to another issue, how much should we > role play being Chivalerous vs. how much should we role > play our persona's culture.

Well, chivalry is a later development than the Old
Testament.  And surely, there are many cultures who did
not regard chivalry as important.

If you're asking is it OK to do bardic performances about
heroes (like Gideon, from the Book of Judges) who are not
especially chivalrous in their exploits, I say yes,
absolutley.

But I knew a norseman once who aspired to knighthood, and
I told him never to let his persona be an excuse for
unchivalrous behavior.

- Galen