ES - Re: response to role playing

Karie Mitchell allessandre at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 15 11:49:47 PDT 2000

My apologies (grin).  I took you for a "stickjock".  My bad.

>Ah, not so.  I'm very interested in A&S as well.  My period practices,
>though, are more in line with patrons commissioning works >from artisans
>they think worthy, paying handsomely for them, and then >giving the
>commissioned work as a gift, in order both to flaunt the >artisan's work
>and to increase their own reputation.  Guilds are much >later than my own
>period - patronage, apprenticeship more like the >modern model than like
>late period indentured servitude, and itinerant >artisans are more of what
>I'd like to see....

Hmmm, actually there isn't much difference.  Guilds just made it easier for
a kid to stay in one place and learn a trade.  Patronage was certainly an
option for those artists who chose it (Leonardo, Michaelangelo, etc.)  But
there were also "schools" if one wished to learn to paint, craft wood, etc.

><grin>

>I think anyone who focuses too much on any one "facet" of the SCA robs
>himself or herself of a much richer experience.  Fighting is >great.  But
>so are the arts, and so is working on behalf of others.  >It's all good.

Cool!  I agree.  I like to dabble in many things (much to the dismay of
Mistress Stella - my Laurel).  I enjoy a little fighting (melee-style), a
little serving (more wine? cheese?), and a LOT of art (let's see, knitting,
or sewing or bobbin lace, what to do, what to do... :] )

Thanks for all the input!

Ciao,
Alessandra