ES - Re: response to role playing

Mordock von Rugen mordockvonrugen at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 18 09:16:38 PDT 2000

>From: willowjonbardc at juno.com
>
>Dear Everybody Greetings from  Willow

[snip]

>As to the matter of doing fantasy.
>I don't  think it is fantasy rather it is historical fantasy. The
>medieval construct we have made shows many of the fantasies that were
>popular in the middle ages.

Hmmm.  I think we are playing very different games.  I've always tried to
play the game as stated in the SCA governing documents:

"The Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA) is an international organization
dedicated to researching and recreating pre-17th-century European history."

It is that statement of purpose with which we got our tax exemption as a
non-profit organization.  It is that purpose which drives us to do demos,
and to document our arts and sciences.  It is that purpose which keeps us
from trying to realize the fantasies of unicorns, and wizards, and elves,
and so forth.

I agree that we take the best, and leave out that which we don't like, in
our Society.  No heavy-handed Dukes exercising the right of high justice by
having servants' hands taken off for daring to touch him without leave.  No
bloodletting as cures to many diseases.  No deadly politics resulting in
dead bodies.  No holy wars between adherents of different faiths.  And I
think this is good.  However, I for one would like to see a somewhat greater
focus on the "researching and recreating" than is frequently displayed by
many.

I don't mean "period nazism" - but I *do* mean things like studying actual
medieval warfare and trying to simulate those battle conditions.  I mean
things like employing period practices for tourneys, and revisiting what we
mean by "taking a wound".  I mean things like accepting that not everybody
is playing the "courtly love" game - if they're early period the concept
hadn't yet been invented.  I mean accepting that there were a huge variety
of ethical codes in period, every bit as good as that of Chivalry, which may
demand somewhat different actions that those demanded by the late-period
Chivalric code.

But that's me.  And while I'd like to see it, I don't demand that others
change their game in order to suit mine.  Enjoy!

Dux