ES - The Elfsea Domesday

Sluggy slugmusk at linuxlegend.com
Wed Aug 30 09:47:44 PDT 2000

Padraig Ruad wrote:

> I'm going to play devil's advocate for a moment and address some
> issues that everyone may want to think about.

(much usefull information snipped)

> It is highly unlikely that anyone in the Barony is going to purposely
> or carelessly pass on the Domesday to someone who does not need or
> should not have it.

Social engineering, acting like you are authorized to receive
information that you are not, is a time-tested way to get information
from those who have it and are supposed to protect it.

Many people would be amazed just how resourceful a private investigator
can be. Knowing a name and that a person plays in the SCA, he could read
up on the SCA and know much about the way we operate, about titles, AOAs
and such. He could then contact a seneschal or hospitaller from any
north texas group with something as simple as "This is Lord John
Buckingham from Namron. I am looking for a member named Robert
Singleton, but I don't know his SCA name." Few would refuse to give out
such information because we like to presume that everyone in the society
is honorable. However, this PI does not have to BE in the society, he
just has to SOUND like he is. His time spent, maybe 30 minutes of
web-browsing and a five minute phone call. He could get the person's
phone number, spend a few more minutes doing a reverse lookup, maybe
even online, and he has the address.

These days, I would be more likely to take his information and pass it
on to the person. That would at least give that person a chance to
refuse to contact them.

> One last point to consider:  with the "information superhighway"
> available to me, as long as I know your name, I can find out anything
> and everything about you that is a matter of record anywhere, for as
> little as $35, and in as little as 24 hours.  You can thank the
> Freedom of Information Act for that.  Just don't think that you can
> remain anonymous in today's world - it's not an option.

Far too much information can be had for free, as well. Paying for it
does typically increase the amount and quality of the information. BTW,
it is generally private investigating firms who advertise these
services.

I recently read a book, "How to be invisible: a step-by-step guide to
protecting your assets, your identity and your life" by J. J. Luna (ISBN
0-312-20315-2). The author presents many reasons why people want to
protect their privacy and many steps to achieve that protection. It's
not easy to do and one must make many changes in their lifestyle in
order to follow all the suggestions, but the information is there. The
determined person willing to, for all practical purposes, divorce his
current life does have the option to remain 99% annonymous. It only
depends on how much someone is willing to pay to find you.

Sluggy!

--

------

And I thought to myself, "a little fermented curd will do
the trick," so, I curtailed my Walpoling activites, sallied
forth, and infiltrated your place of purveyance to negotiate
the vending of some cheesy comestibles!