ES - Children's Bardic Revisited

Antigonus Bearbait antigonus at lycos.com
Tue Aug 15 22:09:31 PDT 2000

Thank you, all, for your kind and glowing responses to the Children's Bardic Competition this weekend.  I must say that I have been floored by the sudden and positive reaction that it has produced -- both at the event and in the aftermath.  People were rushing to us donating prizes hand over fist -- and the kids' responses have been (from what I've been  reading in the past few posts) overwhelming.

The observation was made this weekend that for THREE of the competitions there for adults (A&S, Rapier, and Bardic), there was a corresponding competition for the children.  This is marvelous for an event any size, but I think it speaks even louder for a small one.  As Magdalia Mac an Ghabhan said to me this weekend: Loch Ruadh supports its children.

This is something that I have noticed recently in our Barony as a whole: Our children's activities are becomming richer and richer for the kids -- Baronial College being a prime example.  We do not simply shuffle our children off to be baby-sat.  Instead, at an Elfsea event, members of our Barony are taking an active part to enrich our children.

I am a very strong proponant of children's bardic, not only because I am a bard myself, but because it is one of the few SCA activities a child can take part in on their own without any allowances -- Kara Mac an Ghabhann being another example, competing in both the Children and Adult Competitions.  That, and I believe that the sooner we get them involved, the less aprehensive they will be about doing so later.

I always thank people for supporting the future of our Bardic Community and the future of our Kingdom.  I know it sounds a little trite, but I really do believe it.

Ok -- I'll get off my soap box.  Sorry about that.

I am very proud to be part of a Barony that so strongly supports its Bardic Community and its children.  I have heard tales of other areas where this is not the case.  I thank my lucky Sable Star that I am both and Ansteorran and part of the Barony of Elfsea.

Thank you, all --

Antigonus Bearbait,
Kingdom of Ansteorra,
Barony of Elfsea

Send your favorite photo with any online greeting!
http://www.whowhere.lycos.com/redirects/americangreetings.rdct