ES - Re: response to role playing

Richard Culver rbculver at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 11 06:54:07 PDT 2000

Wesaþ ge hal!

   My take on role playing is it helps the educational experience.  When I
see, for example, two personas interact I like to see a realistic, to the
best of our ability, exchange between the personalities.  Seeing them walk
up to one another and go, "Wassssupppp!!!" does nothing more than annoy me.
I would prefer something more cultural evn if in a different language.  It
just feels better.
    On an internal level, I personally learn something.  The more I get into
being Cyniric, the better I understand what I research.  Some of that is
helped by Cyniric being a fifth century version of me with better looks,
luck and money. :)  In a book called "The English Settlements", the author
walked the length of Hadrian's Wall and other areas during his holidays in
England to see why the Angle, Saxons, or German federati settled where they
did.  I see the SCA as the very same experience.  Why just dig up a village
when you can become part of one?
   For myself I hope to, within a year, be seen strictly as Cyniric would
have been in the 450's.  I am trying to even develop man fighting as to
eventually fight only using period weapons for me (while still taking into
account my persona did travel and trade).  If  my hopes come to ful
fruition, I hope to even be composing in Old Anglian for bardic and such in
addition to providing a "culture camp" everytime I am at a site to the best
of my ability.  I wholly expect at some high persona event to have Airaklee
in my camp and we can talk about our mutual distrust of Saxons of the time
and why, about our differences in religion as our personas might have done
if they were friendly towards one another, and just see each other as we
would have.
   This is not to say people cannot just be in the SCA without a well played
persona, but I personally see it as intergral to the learning experience
which is my primary reason for being here.  The Sca has renewed my interest
in pursuing a Masters in Germanic Philology after I finish at UNT.

Rich Culver
"Cyniric"