ES - Re: response to role playing

Ori Pomerantz ori at simple-tech.com
Mon Aug 14 05:47:01 PDT 2000

	Hi,

> Some people may feel a little incensed at the suggestion that they "play" a
> role, feeling instead that their values and character remain the same in or
> out of SCA activities. I truly respect those individuals who strive to and
> do embody our 'SCA' values through all aspects of their life. (I strive to
> do that myself.) But I think this attitude or feeling misses the concern
> being expressed here. We can all slip into mundanity even if at our core is
> an SCA persona. A little role playing is, in a sense, a form of insurance
> and an easy way to keep mundanity to a minimum.

	I agree. There are two different issues here. One is the values we
act upon, the moral code. That should remain the same, regardless of
authenticity (I know a number of SCA Mongols and I know they aren't much
into pillaging). For my money, trying to adopt a different moral code on
weekends is a psychologically dangerous exercise.
	The other is the morally inconsequential actions. Wearing my Arab
Jalabbiya is no more or less moral than wearing a T-shirt - but one would
be appropriate and the other wouldn't at an event. Same for bowing to
people or interjecting Arabic phrases from time to time (I really should
do that more often - but it's hard to judge when that'll cause people to
not understand me).

	BTW, the point about the moral code above is why I'm such a poor
example of Chivalry, as anybody who heard by in the Bardic Circle on
Saturday can testify. I believe in being courteous and honest in most
cases, and competing fairly - but there are cases when you need to be
dishonest and tricky to protect life and limb. So would Uriah, who in this
respect is a traditional Jew.
	This brings us to another issue, how much should we role play
being Chivalerous vs. how much should we role play our persona's culture.

> this reason I say "Vivat!" for Her Grace for giving a gentle wake-up call.
	And I echo this "Vivat!"

	Illa Lika (see you next time, in Arabic)
		Uriah of Hebron,