ES - Re: response to role playing

Richard Culver rbculver at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 14 08:17:51 PDT 2000

>But I knew a norseman once who aspired to knighthood, and
>I told him never to let his persona be an excuse for
>unchivalrous behavior.
>
>- Galen

  Very true indeed, your Excellency.  This sort goes back to how I feel
persona play is educational.  Anyone who has really read, for example,
thorough accounts of Scandinavian culture would know it was really a high
culture.  Yes, it was violent, but I would argue really no more so than
anywhere else at the time nor were the incidents as wide spread as we tend
to think.
   Having played as Scandinavian persona when I first played in '92, I
personally tried to avoid the stereotypes.  These were a folk with an
abundant level of culture which ended up greatly shaping the world we have
today.  Some think the greatest sin is not getting a battle death, but if
you read most of the myths and the sagas, these people cared more about
maintaining hospitality and the repercussions of breaking it.
   On a broader level, there was a great respect for the dead and leaving
them be.  They just did not steal anything.  If people will note the two
times a major monster battle happens in Beowulf, it was after a thegn to a
king decided it would be fun to rob a grave.
    Knowing stuff like this really puts in perspective to me personally.  I
often find, even across religious and cultural lines, many ideals are held,
even in the most seemingly venomous of lands.

Godspeed,
Cyniric