ES - Re: response to role playing

Padraig Ruad padraig_ruad at irishbard.com
Fri Aug 18 09:43:30 PDT 2000

>I don't mean "period nazism" - but I *do* mean things like studying actual
>medieval warfare and trying to simulate those battle conditions.  I mean
>things like employing period practices for tourneys, and revisiting what we
>mean by "taking a wound".  I mean things like accepting that not everybody
>is playing the "courtly love" game - if they're early period the concept
>hadn't yet been invented.  I mean accepting that there were a huge variety
>of ethical codes in period, every bit as good as that of Chivalry, which may
>demand somewhat different actions that those demanded by the late-period
>Chivalric code.
>
>But that's me.  And while I'd like to see it, I don't demand that others
>change their game in order to suit mine.  Enjoy!
>
>Dux

I think our Society is big enough, strong enough, and certainly tolerant enough to allow a wide range of viewpoints, and levels of re-creation.  I enjoy the re-creation aspect, both as a participant and an observer, and I also enjoy the personna-fantasy aspect, wherein I am wide-wandering Irish bard trying to stay one step ahead of Longshanks' soldiers, and currently living in a land far away from my Ireland.

A day rarely goes by that I don't learn something new from my own research or from that of others in the Society.  It sharpens my mind and gives me a strong, positive outlook, and I enjoy it all immensely.  I hope to still be playing many years from now, God and modern medicine willing, singing songs and telling tales of the folk I know, and the things I have seen.

Padraig

--
Nunc Est Bibendum