ES - Re: response to role playing

Mordock von Rugen mordockvonrugen at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 15 10:49:08 PDT 2000

>From: "Karie Mitchell" <allessandre at hotmail.com>
[much snippage]
>I am not as concerned about these things.  But, I'm also not an avid
>fighter.  And I'll bet that good Mordock is not so very interested in
>having
>more "period" A&S stuff (ie, guilds, "real" apprenticeships, etc.)

Ah, not so.  I'm very interested in A&S as well.  My period practices,
though, are more in line with patrons commissioning works from artisans they
think worthy, paying handsomely for them, and then giving the commissioned
work as a gift, in order both to flaunt the artisan's work and to increase
their own reputation.  Guilds are much later than my own period - patronage,
apprenticeship more like the modern model than like late period indentured
servitude, and itinerant artisans are more of what I'd like to see....
<grin>

I think anyone who focuses too much on any one "facet" of the SCA robs
himself or herself of a much richer experience.  Fighting is great.  But so
are the arts, and so is working on behalf of others.  It's all good.

Dux