ES - Bragging rights

Christine Fink maria_elfsea at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 4 12:30:31 PDT 2000

Hola!

Sorry for the waste of bandwidth, but I just have to brag about Diane (my
just turned 7 year old daughter)...

Diane asked me last night (out of the clear blue) if she make something for
Lughnasad's A&S competition. I knew it was too late to start an embroidery
project and she has been biting at the bit to make her own garb. After we
had dinner, we looked through my fabric supply (believe me it's a very small
supply) and we found some material I bought at a garage sale that she liked.
I told her how to fold and lay the material out. Without help she did as she
was told and pinned the pattern onto the material. After telling her not to
cut the pattern, she cut the material..all by herself and I might add better
than I would have done.

Unfortunately, she is too small to reach my foot peddle. While she sat on my
lap, she sewed it together. She even had her hands placed in the correct
position while sewing! (She said she learned by watching me). Though the
stitching is not totally perfect, it's really good for a first time sewer.
Well, it's not quite finished. She has to go pick out trim for her new garb.

Does anyone have any suggestions for trim on a basic t-tunic? It needs to be
something that she can easily sew on (remember this is her first try at
clothing) and is fairly cheap. I have a hand out that Lady Helen handed out
in the Better Garb Making Class at Baronial College (I think it came from
the Theatric Pattern book...I think Lady Siobhan has a copy of this book).
Well, she likes the picture of the lady in Byzentium (sp?) garb. She has a
head roll and veil and what loks like a t-tunic with 2-3 layers of trim
around the neck, center and hem. This seems like it might too much work for
her to accomplish in such a short time (she goes to her dad's this weekend)
and might be too complicated for her.

For those that come to Lughnasad next weekend and you see her (for those
that know her)... Could I ask you for a really big favor? Could you please
compliment her on her garb? Diane suffers from a really low self-esteem and
this would help her greatly!

Thanks for listening to me!

A VERY proud mom,  :)
Maria