ES - authorization day, .... not

Mark A. Arnold maarnold at gte.net
Tue Dec 12 22:15:10 PST 2000

    As an authorizing marshal for heavy fighting, I would be philosophically opposed to an "authorization day". I like to personally watch a fighter for at least a couple of months before authorizing them. There is a particular set of
boners I look for (e.g. thrusting without a thrustee, below the knee shots, shield punching, excessive force with great weapons, stricking a prostrate opponent, etc.). When a fighter has made enough of these boners and has been given
lessons therefore and has proven over time that they are not likely to make them again, I will authorize them. This modus operandi is NOT a requirement in handbook. I have just found, over the past 3 years as a Knight Marshal, that it's a
good methodology for producing safe fighters -- which is the purpose of authorization. This requires that authorizing marshals and candidates get to know one another. That is, go to practice. I go to three per week. It would be best if all
warranted knight marshals be authorizing marshals so that a) they know the fighters they are authorizing and b) authorization is readily available to candidates. I would urge all warranted marshals to take the classes required to become
authorizing marshals. Your regional Knight Marshal should be able to give you the classes.
    So why have I outlived my 2 year warrant? Because my previous deputy got waxed with a great sword. Because of an aneurism (that may have been pre-existing), the doctor said that if he got another blow like that, he'd be dead before he
hit the ground. In a small group, deputies are hard to come by. I've finally found another one and I am training him at this time.

Llew Mailin
Knight Marshal - Canton of Glaslyn