ES -Eisteddfod

baron at elfsea.ansteorra.org baron at elfsea.ansteorra.org
Fri Dec 15 11:54:38 PST 2000

Quoting Cait OHara <sonja_crocker at juno.com>:

> I am still unclear about the rules of the competition.
> What does no repeating weapon styles mean?
>
>   From the web page:
> The tournament is planned as double elimination, with
no repeating
> "weapon" styles(story, song, poem, and instrumental).

As Darius already explained, that just means you
couldn't do two songs, or two stories, in two
consecutive performances.

> Other styles may be
> considered on a piece by piece basis with previous
> approval.
> I can't even play an instrument.  Does that matter?

No, you don't have to do all the forms.  I can't play
an instrument either, but I wouldn't let that stop me
from entering.

> I am still having
> problems getting ready for it.  Everyone says to do
> my best pieces.  I only have 4 to choose from.  I am
> not even sure about those.  I am trying to find
> things to perform.  I just hope that I have enough
> pieces to perform.

4 pieces is probably not enough to win.  But winning is
not the only reason for entering.  Still, I'd generally
advise a new fighter to start at fighter practice,
rather than Crown Tourney.  Rather than encourage you
into a situation for which you may not be ready and
have you start with a bad experience, I humbly suggest
that you pass on performing in this years's
Eisteddfodd.  Be there, and see what they're doing.
But don't miss performing at the Wandering Bardic!
There are lots of bardic competitions through the year.

> Cait

- Galen, Baron of Elfsea
(and lest I again be unjustly accused of humility...)
Companion of the Iris of Merit of Ansteorra
Holder of the Sable Thistle of Ansteorra for Bardic Arts
former Bard of Dragonsfire Tor
former Bard of Elfsea
former Premier Bard of Ansteorra