ES -Eisteddfod

Karie Mitchell allessandre at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 15 13:01:22 PST 2000

Cait said:
> I was just wondering if I would be able to perform for people at 12th
> Night without entering the competition.

Dear Cait,

I think you can find people to share a song, poem or story with.  If you
would like, you might even get some time to perform in front of Their
Majesties & Highnesses during Feast (just check with the Steward of the
Event and their Royal Liason).  I'm sure there will be opportunities to
perform.

> Also, doesn't the Wandering Bardic have a theme: Wandering or Travelling?
> If so, I guess I will have to find more pieces.

Wandering Bardic is actually an Elfsea event that began when an older
event -Tarkus' Bardic Night - was cancelled.  However, it still carries the
spirit of Tarkus' Bardic:  bring your favorite or new pieces, perform,
listen and (helpfully) critique others, and have a good time.  Often a
potluck dinner is done at these as well.  They currently don't have a set
location, that is why it's called a "Wandering Bardic".  I think they meet
once a month, on the first Thursday.  Could someone confirm that for me?

> I want to start performing, but I just don't have a lot memorized.  Is it
> a really bad to have a "cheat sheet"?

It is not _really bad_ to have a cheat sheet, but just not as "professional
looking".  I would suggest sticking with the pieces you know, and practice,
practice, practice.  Find things you like to do and work on those.
Sometimes that will lead to learning more pieces.  They don't have to be
elaborate - fairy tales, bible stories, or even fables will work.  The idea
is to be interested in your topic, otherwise no one else will be.

Well, that's my advice quota for the day.  Hope some of it is useful.

Ciao,
Alessandra Desiderio (married to a Bard)