ES - Fwd: FW: Leaping Lords and French Hens

Vicki Marsh XaraXene at home.com
Sat Dec 16 12:10:23 PST 2000

Xene here:

>From the "The Shorter New Oxford Book of Carols",  Ed. by Keyte and Parrott,
Oxford University Press, New York, 1993, p. 229,

 "The song is found in different forms in broadsides from the eighteenth
century onward, and derives from a traditional Twelfth Night forfeits game
in which each person was required to recite a list of objects named by the
previous player and add one more.  The tune (one of many) reached its modern
standard form only in 1909, with the inspired (and copyrighted) addition of
the phrase to which 'five gold rings' is sung.....the pear tree is probably
from the french 'perdrix' (partidge); the cally- (or colly) birds are
blackbirds, the gold rings possibly a corruption of 'goldspinks (Scottish
dialect for goldfinches) or 'guilderer" (a gulder-cock is a turkey)."

We now sing four calling birds for "four cally-birds".  The version in this
book is attributed to someone named Husk written in 1864 and it has the five
gold rings.

I don't know about the Elizabethan Protestants (I'll check with Llywelyn),
but the Puritans did *not* celebrate Christmas.  I believe it was illegal to
celebrate it in certain Puritan townships in the 17th and early 18th century
in America.  At least, on HGTV, they had a show about the history of
Christmas that showed a printed notice from that time with the law and
punishment for commiting the crime of celebrating Christmas.  I realize that
is tertiary documentation at best, but there it is....

>From the Laurel corner.....

Xene