ES - Stepping Down

Amy and Bill Morris awmorris at flash.net
Mon Feb 7 22:59:02 PST 2000

Galen,

Well yes, but....

Actually the two couples that I know have already announce are all excellent
candidates.  And I consider Elfsea blessed to have an abundance of people
who can do this demanding job.  It also speaks well of our current Baron and
Baroness that we have numerous people willing to do it.

But there are very real issues here.
Primus:  I have lived through several such events in my almost 20 years in
the SCA, and have at least another half dozen in neighboring baronies.
These ranged from resounding successes to complete disasters resulting in
the loss of more than half the active locals.  Most were in the middle.  I
don't see any chance for a disaster here.  What I see is a lost opportunity
for a resounding success.  Because none of the few disasters had careful
polling, and all of the few resounding successes did have careful polling.
Secundus:  Kingdom law states that we will follow corpora, which you quote
below.  And Their Majesties have sworn to uphold Kingdom law.  They have
also sworn to protect us from harm.  Corpora has these provisions for the
good and simple reason that other baronies have come to harm by not
following these guidelines.

Thus both common sense and duty say that the barony's opinion must be
requested and received, not just the opinion of some of the barony, and not
just requested but received.  What we are offered is less than three weeks
notice to arrange to be at a certain time and place, with no provision for
replying by mail, since the list of candidates is still open.  In addition
what about paid members not subscribed to the Scroll?  I would submit that
this proposal does not comply.  This is the kind of situation for which the
office of Vicar was originally created, to span a gap between Barons or
Baronesses.  I would much rather see you and Allesandre (or someone else)
assume the Barony of Elfsea through a process that no one could possibly
object to, even if we have a Vicar/Vicaress for a month or two.  This would
also go some way to rehabilitating the office of the Vicarate which is
suffering somewhat from disrepute.

>From a period standpoint it was common that a liege lord be required to seek
council from his subject about certain matters.  The English kings were
required to summon Parliament for in a time and place convenient for the
lords.  John's failure to do so was a chief reason for Magna Carta.    The
subject are required to offer 'auxilium et consilium' to their liege and the
liege is required to seek both service and council.

On a practical note, could we do most of the polling at the February meeting
and allow others to mail in or offer their opinions in March?  Or perhaps
set up a special get-together?  I appreciate that speed is of the essence
and would like to find a way of satisfying all concerned.

Mableth