ANST - RE: ES - Heal Thyself first

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Tue Feb 15 08:10:30 PST 2000

Vicki Marsh (xaraxene at home.com) said something that sounded like:
> Sfi, you have not sat in on the Baron and Baroness' meetings, where so many
> of our Kingdom's leaders talk about the difficulties in getting people to
> volunteer for jobs and that they cannot get autocrats / stewards for events.

This is something that in my short time in the SCA I've seen go through
flucuations, just as many other aspects of the Society. This is not
something that is because of the corporation at all. From what I've
seen, it happens as follows:

1) A bunch of "oldtimers" do a lot of work.
2) Newcomers don't volunteer because work is being done by the "oldtimers".
3) "Oldtimers" get burnt out and stop working.
4) Newcomers still don't volunteer becuase they feel it isn't their place.
5) Newcomers start doing a lot of work and become "oldtimers".
6) Go to 1

To get around this in Bryn Gwlad, we directly ask people to help. This
gets around their problem with people feeling uncomfortable of
volunteer, as well as making them feel wanted by being asked.

The hardest part is to get the people to go from #4 to #5 without
dropping out of the Society. (This is usually the time period for
turnover in my experience.)

This of course doesn't address the issues around politics and the like.

Ciao,