ES - Heal Thyself first

willowjonbardc at juno.com willowjonbardc at juno.com
Tue Feb 15 22:35:39 PST 2000

The Baroness has a lot of good things to say but I think she is missing
something. There are things that make us wants to stay in the SCA and
there are things that make us want to leave. They are on two different
scales. We stay because we are having fun with fun people, we are
learning new things and we stay because in the SCA we can be special and
live in magic. When these things are high we can put up with a lot of the
bad stuff. But when these things are low even a little problem can make
us want to leave.

I have been in this kingdom for a long time and I can tell you that the
"bad stuff" is pretty low right now. No one is behaving very badly. There
are a lot of people running around trying to "Fix" the problem. All the
functionaries are calling for more "red tape" and the personal leader are
blaming each other and movers and shakers are sitting in heaps. No one
has a cue to what is wrong. The problem isn't with the bad stuff, the
problem is our events are boring.

Everyone is being "real". There is almost no role-playing  and no
entertainment. Our parties are dull. Even when they have booze people
just sit around. People do not come to the SCA for a cocktail party in
costume. People come to the SCA to live the dream!

We need to start playing again. Not just at Gulf Wars but all the time.
Everyone of us need to learn a song, story or poem. We need to play our
personas. Our nobles need to set stagnations up so that we can play. We
need to stage tavern fights and have people challenge each other. We need
young lovers going on quests for their love. We need stupid boast by
Norsemen and oath taken on peacocks. We need toastings and slap games. We
need people to gamble behind the thrones. We need people to make bets and
then have to do stupid things. We need to do stuff rather than sitting on
our asses.

We need  our events to be friendly to role players and doers.  Right now
if you want to do something someone looks down their nose at you and ask
" do you have permission" or "they don't know if it can be fit in", or
replies that "if you were a national member you could look it up in your
own news letter. " Also when you do try to do something everyone sits on
their butts and look at you like you were a TV. They blandly tell you
that they had a wonderful time but where is the fun of performing to such
a boring audience. I know everyone doesn't want to perform or role play
but without a certain amount of it the SCA is dull.

I know this because I am a role player and I haven't been able to role
play at event for over three years and I am thinking of dropping out. I
certainly don't want to pay money for this game. I think it is about time
all you "red taped" people stop making up more rules and start thinking
about bringing back the Ansteorra that was fun. Creative was the part
that interested me, what about you?

Willow Taylor