ES - The Truth About My Disappearance

Sharon R. Saroff sindara at pobox.com
Mon Feb 21 14:50:06 PST 2000

May you have a Rifua Shilema (quick recovery).

Sindara

At 11:08 AM 2/21/00 -0600, you wrote:
>Dear Friends,
>
>It has come to my attention that someone in Ansteorra (who shall remain
nameless) is spreading a rumor about my lord husband and I.  Though I know
many people say not to pay attention to rumors, lest you give credence to
them, I felt that this particular one requires debunking.  Otherwise, I'm
afraid that I might one day soon find a crowd of fighters and Ansteorran
ladies on my doorstep, waiting to teach my husband a lesson.  (Just kidding)

>The rumor is such: My husband has forced me to quit the SCA and cut off
all contact with all of my friends and family, and it is likely that he is
abusing me in some form or fashion.  This rumor is completely and utterly
untrue, as those who know me should know.  The idea of anyone forcing me to
do something against my stubborn will is absolutely ludicrous.  However,
the rumor does have some founding in truth.  Therefore, I will explain the
situation so that there are no further questions.

>In May, I was diagnosed with Systemic Lupus, which is an auto-immunity
disease highly related to stress.  When I am under a lot of stress, I tend
to get quite sick, which is referred to as a "flare".  I have discovered
over time that I just cannot seem to travel to and attend a weekend event
without making myself sick from exhaustion and the stress of camping and
travel.  This gets worse when I am working long hours at work due to
holiday seasons.

>In October, I got married.  My husband became very concerned for my
health, as I was having flares either before, during, or after every event
we attended or planned on attending.  He repeatedly asked me to cut back on
my events, or even quit all together, as he was afraid I would literally
play/work myself to death.

>In early January, I suffered an early miscarriage, which my doctor
partially attributed to exhaustion and stress.  At that time, Steven
finally put his foot down and said something had to go.  He would not watch
me make myself sick all the time anymore.  Because the SCA had taken up a
large majority of my free time over the last year and a half, he asked that
I give it up.  I agreed to an indefinite "retirement" from the SCA until my
health could become stable again.

>In addition, my husband and I are typical newlyweds.  We are very wrapped
up in each other, and we both often forget that a whole world exists
outside of ourselves.  We both unintentionally neglect to call or email our
friends for days at a time.  I many times do not even check my email for
weeks on end.  While I apologize for this, I don't anticipate this to
change anytime soon, because I'm just distracted by my husband, who is also
my best friend.

>Thus the truth behind the rumor: I have not been forced to quit the SCA,
but I have withdrawn from active participation until my health is more
stable, however long that may take.  For those of you who wish to contact
me, emailing this address is the second best way (I'm sharing my work email
box with someone at the time and they don't always tell me I have current
email).  Calling me at work is an almost sure bet for getting in touch with
me.

>I apologize for the mistakes the misguided person spreading this rumor has
made and the concern it may have caused.  I also apologize for the large
amount of bandwidth used to clear up the errors.  I am still alive, and I'm
not being held captive. :P

    !