ES - [Fwd: Zs on Byzantine Tunics]

Vicki Marsh xaraxene at home.com
Mon Feb 28 10:20:33 PST 2000

Pyro wrote:
Mayhap her Excellency can comment on this one?
(found it on the Rialto..)

This is what I replied, if you are interested.  The mosaic shown in the
stola).

Greetings,
>From Baroness Xene Theriane, OL
Also known as Vicki Marsh, Arlington, TX

I had this question forwarded to me on a Society for Creative Anachronism
list in Ft. Worth, TX (Kingdom of Ansteorra).  While I have been unable to
find a reference on this in my Byzantine Art books, I have come across the
Phos Zoe cross in Orthodox religious ornaments.  Please refer to
www.Light-n-life.com.  Zoe is the Greek word for Life, and is represented
sometimes by the Zeta.  As Jesus represents Eternal Life, he could be seen
wearing the "Z"

The one thing that art history students sometimes forget is that Byzantine
art is more than just art.  It is a manifestation of the Byzantine's
Orthodox religious beliefs.  In order to understand the artists' motivation,
you must understand the artist and the society behind it.

Contact your nearest Greek Orthodox Church for more details.

Vicki Marsh