ES - Stepping Down

Amy and Bill Morris awmorris at flash.net
Mon Feb 7 17:59:07 PST 2000

Your Excellencies,

   I am certainly planning to attend the Populace Meeting.  But between
job-hunting and a wife due next weekend I cannot guarantee this.  I was
wondering what provision is being made for those who are unable to attend
the populace meeting?  What about those who receive word too late to attend?
If the candidates wait until 28 Feb to present themselves, their
qualification, and intentions as Baron/Baroness, how will the rest of the
populace be able to participate?  Their Majesties oaths require them to
request the barony's opinion in writing, and receive it in writing.  I am
uncertain how this can be fulfilled within the stated time since neither the
Scroll or the Black Star announce this.  The populace of Elfsea has no sworn
oath in this matter, but prudence and honor both bid us make a deliberate
and careful choice.

   The goal is to install a new Baron and Baroness who are qualified, who
are chosen in accordance with the laws and customs of Ansteorra, and who
enjoy the support the of both the Crown and populace.  Among other things
this requires a good faith effort to do two things;  to inform the entire
populace of the candidates and their qualification, and to poll the entire
populace.  The process should not only be legal but also be seen to be open
and proper.

   To make an analogy, what would happen if a Crown tourney was suspected to
be rigged?  It wouldn't matter if the winner would have won an unrigged
tourney.  It wouldn't matter if the prospective King and Queen would do a
great job on the throne.  The perception would weaken both the Crown and the
Kingdom.

Both the crown and the populace have duties in this matter, and I would do
all in my power to let and help the careful carrying out of these duties.
While this is my principal concern, on a more personal level, this is an
appeal to two much-respected people to stay on a bit longer and help us do
this carefully and properly.

Arglwdd Breichiol map Lludd o Fannauc

Lord Mableth

     work schedule, Scroll?, list.