ES - Stepping Down

Paul Mitchell pmitchel at flash.net
Mon Feb 7 20:17:18 PST 2000

Galen here...

Mableth publically wrote to our Baron & Baroness:
> Your Excellencies,
>
>    I am certainly planning to attend the Populace Meeting.  But between
> job-hunting and a wife due next weekend I cannot guarantee this.

Worthy and appropriate priorities, indeed.  Our prayers go
with you for the success of both endeavors.

>I was
> wondering what provision is being made for those who are unable to attend
> the populace meeting?  What about those who receive word too late to
attend?
> If the candidates wait until 28 Feb to present themselves, their
> qualification, and intentions as Baron/Baroness, how will the rest of the
> populace be able to participate?

With this concern in mind, I will publically state that my lady Allessandra
and I
have already scheduled an interview with Their Majesties, in the hope of
being
considered for the office of Baron and Baroness.  Please feel free to
contact
Their Majesties by whatever means they will accept (which will certainly
include
postal mail -- they're not taking peerage proxies by e-mail, I don't know
how
they'll treat this situation) with your opinion on the desireability of our
candidacy.
I also welcome private discussion or correspondance of any questions or
concerns you (or anyone) may have regarding us in this context.

>Their Majesties oaths require them to
> request the barony's opinion in writing, and receive it in writing.

No, their oath certainly requires no such thing.  More to the point,
the _Corpora_ of the SCA (available on-line at http://www.sca.org)
does require them to poll the membership of the barony, to whit:

:VI.B.1.a. The Crown shall appoint a territorial Baron and/or Baroness
:according to the laws and customs of the kingdom when a branch is
:granted baronial status, and at such subsequent times as a new Baron
:and/or Baroness is required. The barony's opinion on the matter must
:be requested and received in writing, and the appointments must not be
:substantively opposed by the populace of the barony.

> I am
> uncertain how this can be fulfilled within the stated time since neither
the
> Scroll or the Black Star announce this.  The populace of Elfsea has no
sworn
> oath in this matter, but prudence and honor both bid us make a deliberate
> and careful choice.

What?  You can't write "EEWWWW, no, not GALEN!  ANYbody but
Galen!" in the next two and a half weeks?  And then deliver it in person or
via friend at Moot, or by mail, to Their Majesties?  By all means, people
should be most deliberate and careful in advising the Crown of their
preferences.
But we're not selecting a national leader here -- and by that I don't mean
that this choice is unimportant.  The next Baron & Baroness will perhaps
have
a more direct impact on your happiness and enjoyment than the next
President.
But I don't think we need to spend weeks or months getting to know the
dark horse candidates.  I hope that whomever we select will be someone
who's already been a leader in the barony, whose record is already known
to Elfsea's good folk.

>    The goal is to install a new Baron and Baroness who are qualified, who
> are chosen in accordance with the laws and customs of Ansteorra, and who
> enjoy the support the of both the Crown and populace.

I see nothing in the proposed timetable to prevent us from achieving
this well-stated goal.

> Among other things
> this requires a good faith effort to do two things;  to inform the entire
> populace of the candidates and their qualification, and to poll the entire
> populace.  The process should not only be legal but also be seen to be
open
> and proper.

I believe that Lord Caelin's reply to your post does reflect that good-faith
effort on the part of the Crown and the Barony's officers.

>    To make an analogy, what would happen if a Crown tourney was suspected
> be rigged?

I can answer this from experience.  Exactly nothing.

> It wouldn't matter if the winner would have won an unrigged
> tourney.  It wouldn't matter if the prospective King and Queen would do a
> great job on the throne.  The perception would weaken both the Crown and
the
> Kingdom.

Oh yeah?  See me in person.  I'll name names.  But your concern
is well taken.  Still, I don't see anything in the proposed timetable to
undermine confidence in the selection process.

> Both the crown and the populace have duties in this matter, and I would do
> all in my power to let and help the careful carrying out of these duties.

Mableth, I know you for a Devil's Advocate.  This is an important function,
and you usually do it well.  Your concerns are well-placed, but I hope I
have helped somewhat to put them to rest.

> While this is my principal concern, on a more personal level, this is an
> appeal to two much-respected people to stay on a bit longer and help us do
> this carefully and properly.

Obviously, Llywelyn & Xene's actions are for them to decide.  But I
believe that they brought all of their very good judgement to bear on just
how to do this most properly, and this is their conclusion.  I trust them
in this matter.

> Arglwdd Breichiol map Lludd o Fannauc
>
> Lord Mableth

- Galen of Bristol