ES - Heal Thyself first

Vicki Marsh xaraxene at home.com
Tue Feb 15 07:40:41 PST 2000

Xene here

,Sfi Mordehai ben Yosef Yitzhak, Aka Matthew G. Saroff wrote:

        The SCA is not dying as a group.

Sfi, you have not sat in on the Baron and Baroness' meetings, where so many
of our Kingdom's leaders talk about the difficulties in getting people to
volunteer for jobs and that they cannot get autocrats / stewards for events.
Our Barony of Elfsea has been in that position, but things have changed
here, because of what we do differently.

 The corporation may be suffering, but
this is a natural response to incompetence indifference, and corruption.
These
are problems inherent in the current board structure, and will not change
until
dissatisfaction reaches a level where change is required for the immediate
survival of the corporation.

Yes, the corporation has problems, I don't deny that.  However, the problems
that we are seeing in our Kingdom don't come from the top down, they come
from the bottom up.  The idea that changes in people's personal attitudes
must be the result of legislation or corporate structure is, in my personal
opinion, and invalid one.

So many people can complain about how things are run, but they don't do
anything to better themselves and their groups.  If you want to see
effective change, it has to be from within.  If you want a TI to be
different, or to have information of value, then write for it.  Submit
articles.  Help your local chronicler and apply for that position when it
comes open.  Help the Kingdom Chronicler, and apply for that position.
Eventually, you can apply for TI editor.  It may not happen the first time,
but keep trying.

Twenty years of being involved in the SCA has shown me that only you can
change yourself and your surroundings.  Only you can make yourself happy.
If you aren't able to do that, no one, no Board of Directors, and no
Government can do that for you.

Baroness Xene, OL