ES - Persona play

Amy and Bill Morris awmorris at flash.net
Sat Feb 19 17:56:38 PST 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: <forvalaka at juno.com>
To: <elfsea at ansteorra.org>
Sent: Saturday, February 19, 2000 2:13 PM
Subject: Re: ES - Persona play

> On Fri, 18 Feb 2000 19:33:10 -0600 "Amy and Bill Morris"
> <awmorris at flash.net> writes:
> > Nah, the only reason anyone followed that Spaniard Macsen was because
> > he married a Welsh princess.
> >
> > Mableth
>
> *in his best "Anthony Quinn as Auda Abu Tayi" imitation*:
> The Celts... The Iceni, Nervii, Cimbri, Maeatae, these I know.  I have
> even heard of the Brigante.  But Celt?  What tribe is that?
>

> Charles O. Baucum Jr.
> Shamelessly ripping off "Lawrence of Arabia

Well...

According to Geoffrey of Monmouth (History of the Kings of Britain),
Maximianus was Roman, but with some British blood, and he married the
daughter of the Octavius, King of Britain.

According to W.S. Churchill (Nobel prize winner for literature, and
something political during WW II in England)  Magnus Maximus was a Spaniard
who made local contacts when stationed to Roman Britain, and with British
help raised a revolt that made him Caesar of Britain, Iberia, and Gaul for
five years.

According to the earliest Manuscripts of the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle (5
centuries later) Maximus was born in Britain, and conquered Gaul and Iberia
in either 380 or 381.  (But no one expects Saxons to understand either
history or mathematics)

Macsen's wife Elen (or Helen) is traditionally connected with Segontium
(Caer Seint).  Which would make her Ordovici.  The tribe later to form the
basis for Gwynedd, and Segontium was the basis for Caernarfon.  (I think
this is the version from Gildas, but I don't have a copy to hand to check).

Mableth