ES - The Grand Barony of Elfsea

Vicki Marsh xaraxene at home.com
Tue Feb 1 08:16:51 PST 2000

We are truly living in one of the finest Baronies in the known world,
blessed with Gentles of such Virtue as to cause such a thing to even be
possible. Often we say "Life is good in Elfsea", but it is easy to over look
at
times how _Grand_ the people of Elfsea really are!

A Proud Member of Elfsea
Darius
___________________________

Xene here:

Yes, Darius.  This is a Grand place to live and serve.

Please stop and think about what makes this place different than so many
others.  What do we do differently?  How could we teach other people in the
SCA to achieve what we have?
How are we successful?  Here are a few things that I can come up with in no
particular order.

1) This is not a personality-driven group and we do not have just a single
charismatic leader.  We have many who all work together.  They do not put
each other into warring factions.  It is not an "Us vs, Them" attitude, but
a "How do we achieve our goals?" attitude.
2) We define the goals of the group.  Is the goal of an effort or an event
to make money to buy something?  Is it to recruit new people?  Is it just to
have fun for the populace?
3) After the event, we decide if our basic goals were or were not achieved.
4)  We try to troubleshoot before an event, and figure out what went wrong
or right after the event.
5) Everyone has a voice in the decisions.  Even the children can speak up
here.
6) No one is shunned or ridiculed for their opinions or ideas.  We may or
may not use them, or they may be better suited for another event or time.
7) We work hard but are careful to prevent burnout.
8) If any one has a problem with another individual,  talk directly to the
individual and address the problem.  Don't make it a problem for the group.
We don't talk behind other people's back.  If the problem isn't important
enough to discuss with the individual(s) involved, then it isn't important
enough to whine about.
9) Be accepting of our own limitations as well as those of others.
Volunteers cannot be expected to put in 100% effort, 100% of the time.
10) Communicate, communicate, communicate (trademark registered to Lady
Arabella, who has been trying her best to learn this).  If you cannot
fulfill an obligation, for any reason, let the person in charge know as far
in advance as possible.  Work with your teammates, not against them.
11) Keeping things in perspective prevents stress.  Is the problem
life-threatening?  Is it dishonorable?  Does it help us achieve our goals?
12) Reward Excellence in others.  Expect Excellence of yourself

I am sure that the rest of you can come up with other things that make this
Barony a Grand Barony.

I'm looking forward to this weekend,

Baroness Xene, OL

p.s.  I'm very proud of Llywelyn and Galen.  Two of my best friends in the
whole world have been recognized by the Crown for their chivalry and honor -
something I have known for years.