ES - Armoring supplies

Matthew Saroff saroff at poseidon.vs.lmco.com
Fri Jan 7 06:24:49 PST 2000

On Apr 16, 13:55, Padraig Ruad O'Maolagain wrote:
> Subject: Re: ES - Armoring  supplies
> >I am building armor and have almost every thing I need.  But I am still
> >looking for rivets to make my helmet with though.  Does anyone know where
> >I can get rivets?
> >
> >Also, I have access to scrap steel in various guages and occasionally to
> >kydex plastic.
> >

> >Charles O. Baucum Jr.
> >

>  If you are speaking of metalworking rivets to actually assemble the helm, a
> solution that several people I know have used is to get nails with the
desired
> size head and shaft, and use a grinder, metal cutting blade or bolt cutter to
> trim them off to the necessary length, and voila!  (as opposed to viola,
which
> is an oversized fiddle).
>
>  For other uses (leatherwork, strap attachment, etc.), The Leather Factory
has a
> good selection of brass rivets, screw rivets, and standard rivets (put
together
> and beat with a hammer).
	If you want to rivet metal to metal, and you have not done so before, I
would recommend against nails for a couple of reasons:
*	They are not designed for this, so they don't upset particularly well
(They are too hard).
*	They tend to be slightly more likely to break for the same reason.

	You can get steel rivets from Mcmaster-Carr in about a week.  Their
catalogie is at http://www.mcmaster.com.  Additionally, you can find some
cheaper if you just call around to hardware stores in the area.  There should
be a few in DFW that carry them.

--
Matthew Saroff
Do not reply directly to this message.  Reply to
msaroff at pobox.com