ES - Saturday's arrow party

Sluggy slugmusk at home.com
Sun Jan 30 09:27:14 PST 2000

The Loch Ruadh ersatz arrowmeister is quite pleased!

At our first arrow party held this Saturday, we had a turnout of about a
dozen people and I had trouble finding enough work to keep everyone
busy!

As it was, we finished getting Polydore's monster bandsaw operational
and cut all 30 feet of UHMW into 328 arrow heads in about 30 minutes,
including a stop to readjust the blade guides on the saw. There is
nothing quite like using monster power tools!

Using a sharpened piece of drain pipe, we cut out all 600 foam disks
pads.

With a pencil sharpener followed by hand sanding, we tapered 200 shafts
for nocks and moved them into Polydore's heated enclosed porch for
cleaning and nock/head gluing. We finished gluing nocks and heads on 200
shafts and an additional 100 had just heads glued on. It is an inspiring
sight to see a metal trash can FULL of arrows!

The propane heater and a quartz space heater definitely made the work
shop more comfortable and heartfelt thanks go to Padraig for supplying
plenty of hot coffee, cocoa and tea to warm our insides.

Outside, the sun was bright and so long as we stayed out of the wind, it
was comfortable enough for us to shoot at Polydore's target with the
half dozen or so bows present.

In all, a great time was had by all and we will be planning and
announcing another arrow party in the next few weeks to finish them up
with fletchings and tape!

Thanks go out to all who attended and especially to Polydore Pike for
having us all there once more!

Sluggy!