ES - A Hero in Need (a long sad story

Paul Mitchell pmitchel at flash.net
Fri Jan 21 10:32:02 PST 2000

Galen here...

Please take a moment to read this; it is written and posted
to <elfsea at ansteorra.org> by Sir Galen of Bristol (Paul T. Mitchell,
<pmitchel at flash.net>) on Jan. 21, 2000.

I spoke last night at some length with Badon.  He sends his greetings.
Some of you are aware of the plight faced by my former squire,
Sir Sion Rhys of Badon, of the Barony of Bordermarch (Beaumont,
TX).  Badon also lived for six months or so here in Elfsea.  For those
of you who don't know...

Badon is mundanely George Fox, known to his friends as "Feller",
and by profession a private investigator.  In 1997, he was involved
in an investigation assisting federal authorities in tracking down
purveyors of child pornography on the internet.  Several people
went to jail in this connection.  Unfortunately, these were not
criminals wholly without political connections or friends.

In the course of the investigation, Badon downloaded examples
of this criminal product from the internet to his office computer,
for use as evidence.  However, the laws that make it a federal
offense to download child pornography have no provision exempting
those in the course of a criminal investigation.  There is no requirement
for "criminal intent" to be convicted of this crime.  In the most
disgusting abuse of judicial power I've ever heard of, Badon was
charged with receiving child pornography on the internet.  Despite
the testimony of FBI agents who said that he was participating
in their investigation, Badon was convicted in the Eastern District
of Texas last fall, and sentenced by Judge Howell Cobb to 4 years
in prison shortly after Christmas.

4 years is a long to time sit in jail for the "crime" of trying to
protect children.  Badon must report to jail on Feb. 28th.

But there is hope.

Two other district appellate courts have rule unconstitutional
the technicality under which Badon was indicted.  Too, Badon
was sentenced under 1999 sentencing guidelines where he should
have been sentenced under the more lenient1997 sentencing
guidelines.  These, combined with several improprieties in the
conduct of the trial, make for excellent grounds for overturning
his indictment, declaring a mistrial and/or reducing his sentence.

But as you know, this gets expensive.  Badon has a new lawyer
handling his appeal, and has paid him over $5000 out of pocket,
and must still come up with another $3000 for trial transcripts.
Much as it galls him to do so, Badon and his wife Dona Lea are
welcoming donations to his appeal fund.  I plan to pass the hat
at moot next Monday, but if anyone wanted to make their own
donation, they could sent it to Darlene Fox, 4330 Armon St.,
Vidor, TX  77662;  (409)786-4513.

If you're not able to contribute money, but would still like to help,
welcome aboard.  Badon's Congressman, Rep. Jim Turner (R-TX),
is investigating Badon's case and has promised to help if it
turns out as Badon describes it.  Letters to your own Congressman,
with a copy to Rep. Turner (at 420 W. Green Ave., Orange, TX
77630) could only serve to encourage this effort.  You might
want to reference Criminal Court Case #1:99CR75-1.

Also, Badon is stuck at home until he reports to jail.  He'd welcome
phone calls and letters at the address and phone number above.
He doesn't have e-mail or internet access, by court order.  After
he goes to jail, mail will be even more precious.  After the end of
February, you can write to Badon at:
   George E. Fox, Jr.
   #07929-078
   P.O. Box 26020
   Beaumont, TX  77720
Do _not_ send him any box or hardcover book at this
address.  Such items will be burned unexamined.

Finally, I solicit your prayers on Badon's behalf.  I have
recently learned much about the power of prayer, and
I believe that our prayers will do more for Badon and Lea
than anything else we can do.

You might have noticed during the recent Coronation festivities
as a squire came forward, followed by Duke Kein and Sir Henri
bearing a sword between them.  I joined the two knights, as
the squire addressed our new King, and they exchanged words
you didn't hear.  That was Badon's squire, offering Badon's fealty
and sword, which Drake received most graciously.

You would not have noticed, as I did not until told, that at 12th
Night a week earlier, King Daffydd was wearing the chain Badon
was knighted with, which he had been given that morning during
his brief visit to Bordermarch.

George Fox is a hero, whose effort to protect children from the
exploitation of child pornography has led to his most cynical
prosecution and incarceration.  To us in the SCA, he is a knight,
an exemplar of courage and prowess.  We can share in his heroism
by honoring his courage and prowess by helping him however we can.
Whether with money, letters, or just prayers, whatever you can do
will be appreciated.

I do not ask that this missive be passed on, but if it is, I hope it will
not be edited.  Thank you for your kind attention to this posting.

- Galen of Bristol, Viscount, KSCA, Pel., CSM, CIM, etc., Bearer of
an Augmentation of Arms,
(Paul T. Mitchell)
<pmitchel at flash.net>