ES - Defender Culture Camps

Richard Threlkeld rjt at softwareinnovation.com
Mon Jul 31 13:25:48 PDT 2000

I was not around in the hey-day of culture camps, but they consist
of an encampment that uses period structures (usually tents),
period cooking, period garb, period entertainment (dancing, music, etc),
and anything else they can imagine. Some will even try to fight in
period styles. For it to be a culture camp, it must be set in a
specific period and place.

So we have had middle eastern encampments (with dancing),
Norse encampments, early Scottish, etc. I think we had a
small Russian group once. This can be really fun, but it
can also be a lot of work and the same people were doing it
every year. They began to burn out on the concept.

We are hoping that the experienced people (who have had a
short rest now) will join with the newer, less experienced
people to make new, innovative, and fun culture camps. Choose
a culture. Choosing the culture of your persona may allow you
to better research your persona [I assume you chose it because
you found aspects of that persona interesting]. Choosing
another culture allows you to study something new and interesting.

Recruit a group with varying skills (garb makers, cooks, brewers,
researchers, and logistics people), set overall goals, and set
them loose. Meet periodically to review what you have done and
help each other. Have fun!

Caelin on Andrede