ES - New Project: Traditions of Elfsea

DonnelShaw at AOL.com DonnelShaw at AOL.com
Sun Jul 23 20:58:26 PDT 2000

In a message dated 7/21/00 4:07:23 PM Central Daylight Time,
eflather at flash.net writes:

<< There are some traditional things that I can think of off the top of my
 head. I will note them down now, and add more on later as I think of them.
    Inducting new members into the Order of the Azure Keystone of Elfsea had
 been done previously at Dragonsfire Tor Yule Revel. This last year, they
 were given at Elfsea Defender. Usually only TWO are given out each year.
 Occasionally as many as three have been given. This awards is usually given
 to people who have done outstanding work for the Barony for a long time.

Past Barons and Baronesses have had their own non-armigerous awards which
 can be given out without consultation with the Crown. These included the
 Ant of Elfsea (TEs Arthur & Robin), <snip>

If I remember correctly we closed the order of the Ant (Shire) so we could
instituted the Keystone for the Barony. I believe we did this at the original
investiture. Robin handed out little gold sanddollars or seashells with gold
edges.

    Elfsea Defender is traditionally a Swiss Five Tournament

The Swiss Five was decided on because we wanted a defender who could use a
multiple styles of fighting. I don't remember the Reverse Order  of
Precedence Challenge. Elyessa was usually the list mistress she might
remember better.

 round being a Reverse Order of Precedence Challenge. <snip>

     In the past the Rapier and Archery may have been held on
 Sunday <snip>
Yes, this is correct.

    Elfsea's King of Fools and Bardic Champion are normally selected at Spring
 Faire. King of Fools is usually populace choice by use of voting tokens, a
 bead, scrap of cloth, etc. The Bardic competition is normally judged by the
 Baron and Baroness with consultation by the current Champion. They
 sometimes ask for other's input.

We have also used a poplular vote method as well in the past.

Originally we designed Spring Faire as the event to let out all our silly
ideas that we could not do at other events. This is were the Troll Swamp Rag
was created after all the stress of becoming a Barony. The first Baronial
Spring Fair we had the RED BARON and BARRENNESS. As well as the HAWAIIAN
TUTOR BARON. We also had the Baronial Guard "arresting" people and putting
them in the "stocks" (set next to the Elfsea tavern) as a fundraiser.  We
started each day with our daily "cannon wake up shot." Also this event has
always been when Brewing Competition is held. At one time the Shire was know
for a brew named STARTWINKLE. It was also stressed to be our children's
event. We did lots of things for the children at this event.

    <snip>
 Originally the Elfsea Spring Faire was a Bear Pit,

I don't remember this but again Elyessa would be the one to ask.

 <snip>
    Our title holders plus their consort or a guest, the current Crown and
 current and former Barons and Baronesses are given free entry and food at
 our events. This list includes: Their Royal Majesties, Their Royal
 Highnesses, Chivalric Defender, Rapier Defender, Archery Defender, King of
 Fools, Elfsea's Bard, and Elfsea's Artisan. If there is a high table at
 feast, all these title holders are usually asked by the B&B to sit at it.
    Now that we have four sets of B&Bs do we want to continue this for the
 former B&Bs?
I vote yes.

I hope this helps.