ES - Elfsea Defender Chivalric Tourney

baron at elfsea.ansteorra.org baron at elfsea.ansteorra.org
Wed Jun 14 09:28:29 PDT 2000

Galen here...

I've been talking for some time about what I want to do
for the chivalric tourney at Elfsea Defender.  I want to
toss out the ideas I'm presently working with, and get
the barony's feedback on them, especially the fighters'
opinions.

In period, a tourney would last more than a few hours, or
even more than a full day.  They would last up to a week,
with different scenarios being tried on different days.

In Ansteorra, there have been very few efforts to re-
create a tourney of the high middle ages (say 12-14th
century), and none that I am aware of that were part of a
baronial championship event that included other
competitions.  Most familiar to Elfsea fighters is
probably the Tournee de Lyonesse, held for several years
by Bjornsborg, which in turn was a descendent of the
earlier Tournament of Lions.  The Lions tournies
simulated different tournament days by seperating the
tourney into rounds.  All combat was assumed to be fought
_a plaisance_, that is, with blunted weapons.  To be
killed or wounded by SCA standards meant to be
incapacitated for the remainder of the "day", so you had
to wait until the next round to fight.  (However, there
was a round fought "a outrance" with sharpened weapons,
to settle affairs of honor; wounds taken in this round
were retained throughout the tourney.)  Fighters hired
heralds and made great shows of their performance on the
field.  A herald might even provide a "play-by-play"
account of his patron's fight, highlighting his patron's
best moves and chivalry, of course.  And the day started
with a march of precedence of the fighters, to present
them to the Baron of Bjornsborg, Sir Jan.

Within the context of Elfsea Defender, there simply isn't
time in the schedule to do as much as we'd like, but we
can do a smaller version of it, to give us all a taste.

I'm thinking of starting with a march of precedence of
the fighters and their consorts, in which the fighter may
provide his own herald to announce him, if he wishes.
The Baroness will preside over a ladies pavillion, who
will bestow largess on the fighters that catch their eye.

Challenge Round
Then the field would be open for challenges.  For 45
minutes, fighters could accept or give challenges and
fight them out on the field.  Wounds would be retained
throughout the round, slain fighters would be out until
the next round.  Multiple fights would be fought at the
same time.

Limited Blows Challenge Round
The second round would be also be 45 minutes, and run the
same way except you have a limited number of blows:  3
blows with each of the traditional "weapons of chivalry"
sword, mace (or axe, depending on your persona), spear,
or dagger.  Challenge as many fighters as you can, but
you can't throw more than 12 shots total during the
round.  Perhaps you'd challenge a fighter to all four
weapons, or choose a different opponent for each weapon.
This sort of limited-blows combat was commonly done in
period tournies.  If you haven't done it, you'll find it
to be a very challenging sort of combat.  As before,
wounds are retained through the round, and killing shots
take you out of the round.

Defenders at the Barrier
In the third round the former Defenders of Eflsea would
defend the barrier against any and all comers, for 45
minutes.  Challenge them alone or en mass.  Wounds will
be retained through the round.

Grand Melee
Finally, the ladies pavillion will choose a Lord
Challenger, and then the Baron will choose a Lord Tenant
and his team.  They will lead the sides of a grand melee.

After this, the Baron will consult with the prior
Defenders of Elfsea to choose which participant is most
worthy to become the new Defender of Elfsea.

How's it sound?  Do you love it?  Do you hate it?  Do you
want to tweak it a little?  A lot?  This _is_ the time
for negative commentary.  (Positive, too.)

Please be gentle!

- Galen Elfsea