ES - Lady Fighters

Sue Dittrich dittrich at flash.net
Wed Jun 14 10:52:59 PDT 2000

Greetings, Maria and fellow rapier fighters--

     I know that I am out of the active rapier fighting scene, but I have
fought some in the recent past.  Regarding your problem holding rapier
handles, often it is a matter of finding a grip and a handle that works for
you.  I do not have the problem you do, because I have large hands for a
woman (size 7 1/2 or medium glove) and have no problem gripping handles.
But I have found that some rapier companies offer different styles of
handles, from the normal "Olympic" style handle to round handles, to wire
wrapped, etc.  If you are lucky, you can find one of these companies set up
as a merchant and try each grip out for yourself.  Some may be willing to
custom make a grip that fits you better.  Another option is what I did.  I
have a very "handy" fiance, and he wire wrapped my grip until it was
comfortable and balanced.
  Regarding the pain you have after 10-15 minutes, you may be gripping the
rapier too tightly.  Practice at home holding your rapier in a relaxed grip.
Then practice point control exercises (which can always be done at home)
with this relaxed grip.  It will soon become natural.   I found that my best
grip was one where I held the rapier with only my forefinger and thumb--in a
properly balanced rapier, the balance point is right where the blade joins
the bell, and you can hold it very easily at this point with little force.
Ld. Daniel of Cameron or Don Llwellyn or others can help you learn a good,
relaxed grip.
    If you are going to be at fighter practice this Sunday, I will try to
come out (for the first time in a while due to mundanity) and maybe we can
play together.

In service,

Lady Genevieve de la Gamba
Fourth Artisan of Dragonsfire Tor
Former Rapier Guardian of Dragonsfire Tor
Matron, House Silver Moon

-----