ES - Elfsea Defender Tournaments

Craig Shupee' philipwhite at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 20 12:58:30 PDT 2000

Greeting Your Excellency Galen,

I will through out my opinions.  I think that the ideas you have for Elfsea
Defender are too ambitious.  I think you will find that not everything will
go off well, and that the event will end up not being fun for many people.
I like the idea of change, just not all at once and on such a large scale.
WE have had things that made Defender special, but they burned people out
and ended unsuccessfuly, ie Culture Camps.  Though these were a good idea,
and they made the event special, it was quite a pressure for people to
participate.
  With the Chivalric Tourney, I think it should stay Swiss Five, with the
reverse OP challenge.  I think that people come to fight at this tourney
because it can be a challenge.  And they want to prove there prowless.  So
many of our recent Defenders have become Crown because they are great
fightres, not because they have the friend base to create a certain
atmosphere.  I like the tradition of the Swiss Five.
  Previous Defenders entered the Tourney to hold office for a year, and then
step down.  They did not commit to return events to judge a competition.  As
well, new Defenders would be chosen on a different basis as those in the
past.  I do not want to see the defender become a popularity contest, or a
personal decision.  I know that I do not like to enter those kinds of
competitions.
  I think this tourney would be a good tourney for Springfaire.  Springfaire
has been floundering with half done themes for the last few years.  And some
within the barony enjoy this, but I do not think that is was sucsesful from
a kingdom perspective.  This tourney could be a good place to make
springfaire special.  And just thoughing out an idea, you could choose the
Arthurian Company Comander from this tourney, from fighters within the
barony.
  I like the idea of the archery touney being sprused up.  There comunity
seems to have been very receptive to this in the past and it would make the
tourney more appealing.
  Please take my opnions for what they are worth.  I am not a fighter and
will not be soon.  My only intitions are to passible herald or waterbear,
which has lttle to do with the outcome what your decision will be.

Your servant to command,
Philip White