ES - Lady Fighters

Karie Mitchell allessandre at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 14 09:21:01 PDT 2000

>From: Christine Fink <eleefink at consultant.com>
>Wed, 14 Jun 2000 11:48:40
>
>Buenos Dias!
>
>I was just reading Iron Rose's website. I came across the psychology of
>women fighters (called Lizard Brain). What she says is so true!
>
>http://www.peak.org/~grainne/Ironrose/lizard.html
>
>Any advice from other lady fighters over how to overcome Lizard Brain?
>
>Wanting to be one of the best,
>Maria

Wow!  I didn't realize that women who did rapier combat would have similar
problems as those who did rattan combat.  But I guess the head (the lizard
part)is still the same in both games.

Most of what Duchess Elina covers in the physical aspects may not have as
much application in the rapier field.  There are several distinct
differences that make an impact on rattan fighting.  One is the difference
in the tendons of the hand.  Women make fists differently than a man, a
difference that will cause problems when a woman grips a man's sword.  She
suggests filing the handles differently to make it more comfortable for a
woman.  I don't know if this would work for rapier handles, or if it even
applies.

A woman is also jointed differently in the elbow, which is why women can
take a short stick between their hands and rotate their hands over their
shoulders without bending their elbows (and men can't).  [When I did this
the first time Galen freaked!]

Another point where women and men differ are in the hips.  This makes a
significant difference in how they get their "power" into their shots.  Men
need to use the same side leg and arm to throw power into their shot.  Women
need to use opposing leg and arm to put power into their shot.

This refers to rattan fighting (mostly) and it is not meant for everyone
(YMMV), but I have certainly seen where I ought to use her methods to
increase my ability on the field.  (Not that I have much interest to be
there, except in a melee.)

That's my $.02 (or less, it's just an opinion, ya know)

Ciao,
Allessandra