ES - Elfsea Defender Chivalric Tourney

Rayburn, Timothy TRayburn at healthaxis.com
Wed Jun 14 14:47:31 PDT 2000

*Warning Personal Opinion Incoming*

This is a myth, and a really bad one in my feeling.

Mixing Rapier and Heavy lists at the same time takes away from both and
makes it 'just another tournament'.

Making the first several rounds run on 8 list fields will bring up the speed
somewhat, but people want fewer list fields as the rounds go on so the can
watch each fight, this slows things down.

The fact of the matter is that once the first two rounds of a tournament are
over (double elim) you've taken out half the combatants, and each fight
begins to become interesting for a growing number of people.  While there is
nothing about a list that stops the quarter finals (four fights) from being
fought on four list fields, it's bad showmanship because everyone wants to
see all the fights.

When you have three big tournaments (Rapier, Armored, Archery) at one event,
then there /will/ be overlap in the schedule.  In general you have the hours
of 10-5 to complete all the competitions for the day.  2 hours (and change)
each, divided evenly.  Otherwise you overlap competitions, and that means
someone isn't in the lime light.

On the other hand, with two competitions each you have 3.5 hours for each,
divided evenly.  That is somewhat more workable.

Now, if one of the lists was moved to Sunday, than that would also
accomplish this, but Rapier and Archery have been relegated to this in times
past and it always hurts the competition.

Timothy of Glastonbury
Opinionated Archer, Rapier Fighter, Herald, Spectator, etc.