ES - Armour weight

Matthew G. Saroff msaroff at pcans1.pca.net
Wed Mar 8 20:54:47 PST 2000

On Wed, 8 Mar 2000, Christine Fink wrote:

> I don't remember how much a suit of armour wieghs. But, last summer the
> History Channel had a one hour special on the history of armour. One of the
> interesting facts about full scale armour is that once worn it is so
> flexible that one can actually do cartwheels (they showed a man in armour
> doing carwheels)!
>
> My theory is that it can't weigh that much if one can do carthweels. My
> guess would be around 75 to 100 pounds? You might want to check their
> website and see if they have any information or links on armour.

	The weight of armor was remarkably similar to the weight carried
by a modern combat soldier, 50-75 lbs.  Mail tend toward the high end, and
plate toward the low end, at least until they started making armor to
resist bullets.

--
--Sfi Mordehai ben Yosef Yitzhak, Aka Matthew G. Saroff

This is not the Dream.  This is what I do on weekends to have some fun.

The Dream involves 4 sets of identical twins, 2 gallons of Cool
Whip, 5 quarts of chocolate syrup, 2-1/4 pounds of strawberries,
satin sheets, a magnum of champagne, a trapeze, and a python.
Check http://www.pobox.com/~msaroff, including The Bad Hair Web Page
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes