ES - seige assault strategy

Adam Harrison hookshot at star-telegram.com
Thu Mar 23 19:48:05 PST 2000

Well, as far as minature gaming goes, I've been playing some of the more futuristic type games for quite some time now, I'm just now getting into historical mini games.

Games Workshop has a new historical/fantasy game out called "warmaster" that is supposed to include rules for runners sending orders to units.  if the runner doesn't make it, the unit doesn't get the change in orders...  I haven't seen the rules so I can't vouch for thier usefulness, however most of the games I play involve luck just as much as tactical skill.  I'd say if we do simulations, we should try limiting the dice rolling as much as possible.  perhaps give each unit a 50/50 chance of surviving an engagement, possibly giving bonuses to trained units such as the Arthurian Company.  Something would also have to be in there about a unit staying alive and holding off an enemy unit.  what I mean there is some way to simulate the Arthurians holding over 60 men for some period of time.  we knew we would be wiped out, the trick was to stay alive for so long.  We didn't kill the 60, we just held them up.

How do you resolve simulated conflicts at Ft Hood?

All of my "armies" are futuristic at this point, but I can get some highly detailed minis pretty easily, it would just cost a bit.  I'm thinking single color plastic toy "knights" are in order here...

On a seige engine note, I've been spending some time working on a feasable design for the arrowgeddon and I think I have one.  It involves 4 removable "cartriges" of 21 arrows each, one bow(unspecified poundage probably 35-40), and a superstructure around the bow.  Each shot would fire 84 arrows.  The reason for using a bow instead of a springloaded plate is that there would be no way to measure the "poundage" on a spring plate, and therefore marshals would not be able to check the speed(and force) of the arrows and thus would not be able to determine the safety of the device... Also by using a bow, you can apply force to the arrows for a much greater period than with the plate, thus more range.  The blueprints for the design are a tad more complicated than described above, but they're not impossible to build.  Once school gets out I'll have time to build one of these things and we'll see what it can do.  A word of caution though, if ABB's(anti bounce back devices) are required next year this design will need some serious re-working, as would any other I have thought of for launching a large number of arrows in one shot.

Estimated cost for this guy is around $150-200 in materials or so.  that would not include extra cartridges(which would be needed if we want to fire this thing with any amount of speed).  That also would not include arrows, which we would need at least 420-588 to have an effective engine for an entire battle.(think about it folks, that's not that many shots.... 5-7 if my math skills are correct)

Anyways that's what's been running through my head when I haven't been thinking Calculus and haven't been thinking of a certain someone who I met at war who happened to call me last night...

-Bjorn