ES - Elfsea Defender

Darius and Monica dmmerlick at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 29 14:53:10 PST 2000

Hey Ho Darius here.

His excellency Galen threw out the idea of waiting till Defender 2001 to
re start culture camps. I think this is a good and sound Idea. Last year
though we were willing to reserve space for culture camps, advertised
for people to set them up and even had a coordinator to contact, we
ended up with only 3 or 4 inquiries about the camps. I believe that as
in agriculture a good field that produces poorly should be allowed to
lay fallow and then reseeded after fertility returns to the soil, so we
should allow this wonderful research and display opportunity to lie
fallow as well.

Other than that I would like to say also that I do not wish to see
culture camps take up the whole of site. Even with an "unaligned camp"
there are groups such as households some shires and such that like to
have a concentrated camp of their own. I do  believe that with camps
showcasing a medieval culture there should still be room on site for the
SCA culture to continue as usual. i remember many years ago at the first
Defender I attended there was little room that was not claimed by this
or that Culture camp. It was very difficult for a family or a small
group to just find a place to set up and enjoy the event.

One other suggestion I have is to reinstate the culture camps as an
every other year type of thing. thus giving people more time to recover
from the last one they were a part of as well as more time to create the
magic of research, decorations, garb and planning that goes into these
camps. some of the major reasons people voiced for not doing some of the
camps was they were tiered of doing the same camps with the same people,
or they were just plain tired. another reason I have heard is not having
time with regular life and eventing the rest of the year to prepare for
such a large undertaking.

Well there's My 2 bits plus a pound or two on top
I remain at home in Elfsea
HL Darius of the Bells