ES - storm

Jennifer Bowers JBowers at ccsb.com
Wed Mar 29 08:36:49 PST 2000

I was coming home through Arlington right after the storm hit.  I work in downtown Dallas and live in Springtown.  I had dinner with some friends after work so when I hit Grand Prairie about 8:00 it was not a pretty sight.  The tornado had just hit and downed power lines on I-20.  This is the freeway I haul butt on everyday, last night was a very different story.  When I left the restaurant all I knew was that it was raining.  Once I got stuck on I-20 right past Grand Prairie I heard that there were power lines down and it could take 8 hours to clear the freeway.
So, there we sat, engines turned off, lights turned off, no street lights, people getting stuck in the median trying to turn around (you'll notice all the stuck vehicles on the side of 20 this morning), it was VERY eerie.  I sat there for 2 hours last night.
Someone finally got the bright idea to try and use one of the on-ramps, so a bunch of us desperate people followed them down the on-ramp to 360 (in the opposite direction).  This put us out in on coming traffic on 360.  There was a police officer waiting for us at the end of the ramp....."oh great, they are going to give us a ticket".  Actually it worked out great, he would hold the on-coming traffic so we could get on the freeway.
I passed downtown Fort Worth about 11:00pm, it looked like the Oklahoma City bombing.  The whole area was lit up, helicopters flying around, debris everywhere.......it was pretty wild.  I couldn't look long because they have 30 shut down to two VERY narrow lanes.  I finally got home around midnight.  My cell phone was dead so I couldn't call Jon, when I got home he had no clue what had happened.  He was at home sewing his heart out while he listened to his CDs all night.  He thought I was out all night woopin' it up with the girls.

I hope everyone is okay.  I thought about each and everyone of you while I sat on that freeway for two hours......wondering if you and your families were okay (in between trying to figure out what I was going use for a privy.)   :)

Azalais

Carrington, Coleman, Sloman & Blumenthal, L.L.P.
         www.carringtoncoleman.com