ES - Elfsea Defender

Galen of Bristol pmitchel at flash.net
Wed Mar 29 13:25:15 PST 2000

Galen here...

Here's an idea.  Y'all tell me what you think.

Her Grace Willow wrote:
> I don't know what other people think but the culture camps were very
> important to me and indirectly important to the area. I made wall
> hangings for the camps. Many of the decorations that are used in Elfsea
> and Steppes and other places were made for the culture camps team.

Good point.  The culture camps were a good source of the
nice things we use to decorate our halls the rest of the year.
This is a good reason to do them again.  Also, they were a
lot of fun.

<snip>
> It takes us almost 7 months to get ready.

OK, people doing culture camps need much lead time.
More than the 6 months between now and Defender
2000, especially given the time required for...

<snip>
> If you decide to do the camps then it will have to treated like
> the first time and individuals recruited.

To it again, we'll have to actively recruit people to do the
camps, because we've lost the "habit", the organization,
the infrastructure, that kept it going.  We'll need to start over,
almost from scratch.

(Is this a fair redaction of your points, Mistress Willow?)

<snip>
> Maybe there is something that could be
> done to make everyone happy.

Here's my best shot:

We could announce that we are bringing back the culture
camps to Elfsea Defender in 2001.  Allessandra and I
could take the lead in recruiting people to organize these
camps.  People could have a year or more to plan, organize
and do the camps they'd like to do.  When the autocrat for
the event is chosen, there'll already be squads of folks preparing
the culture camps for the event.  This way, culture camps don't
get cancelled forever for lack of interest when the real problem
is lack of communication.

What do we think of this idea?

- Galen of Bristol