ES - Same Time, Next Year! To Trimaris!

Galen of Bristol pmitchel at flash.net
Tue Mar 21 11:00:13 PST 2000

Galen here...

It's very exciting and gratifying to see so many ideas
for next year's Gulf War.

Let me share with you some of my thoughts.

First, in planning assaults on the fort, expect them to
have _many_ more archers next year.  In the past,
the field has been virtually _carpeted_ with arrows
after each battle.  I don't know why they weren't there;
maybe it had something to do with timing the war
during our Spring Break and not theirs.  While I'm
at it, anything we can do to field more archers of our
own would be a Good Thing, in my opinion.

Archer platforms, for use as suppressing fire in both
assaulting and defending the fort, is a Neat Idea; but
easier said than done.  But oh! if we _can_ do it, it'll
be devastating, I think.

I like the ideas about using ramps in future, especially
if we can train with them in advance.  I think a few times
going over ramps would have made the Arthurians quite
a bit better at it.  If we're making ramps, it might be nice
to have them for Fall Melees.

One of Allessandra's and my goals as Baron & Baroness
is to forge closer ties to the Barony of the Steppes.  While
Fritz & Kitrin have been _very_ receptive to this goal, they
are not interested in any sort of inter-baronial war or conflict.
They did react positively to my suggestion of a joint Steppes-
Elfsea encampment at next year's war.  Maybe with even
more advance planning and better communication, we can
actually get sufficient land of adequate quality.  From there,
ideas of how to decorate and organize such an encampment
spring enthusiastically to mind unbidden.  We could have our
own named paths, like Arthur Rd., Allemandus St., Oak Path,
or Castle Way.  We could have an impressive-looking gate
with heraldic decorations... But I digress.

We have also discussed with Their Excellencies Steppes
some possibilities for expanding the Arthurian Company into
a Regional, or at least inter-baronial, force.  Nothing firm,
but it seems possible.  Of course membership in the Company
has never been restricted by branch affiliation, and I see no
reason to change this.

Allessandra and I are quickly moving toward a decision on
who is to be the next Commander of the Arthurian Company.
This will probably be announced at Sunday morning court
at SpringFaire, with the initial swearing-in of members of the
Company to take place as usual at the Scottish Festival.
However, anyone who is interested in being considered for this
post should talk to me Very Soon.  E-mail in the meantime
would be good.  It is our hope that the new Commander will
quickly begin recruiting members and negotiating the hiring of
mercenaries.  The Iron Lance folks I talked to certainly seemed
to think well of the idea of working with us again.

Too, we are very gratified that so many who served so well in the
company have expressed their intent to return, while so many
more are determined to join.  This is a Very Good Thing, and
should be much fun, as well.

Elfsea did GREAT this war.  And the best part is, we can still
make it even better.

- Galen of Bristol