ES - Re: ANST - Ansteorran Anthem Competition--from TRM

Padraig Ruad O'Maolagain padraig_ruad at irishbard.com
Sat Mar 25 19:50:19 PST 2000

>Unto the Bards (and prospective bards) of Ansteorra do TRM Alaric and
>Kayleigh send warmest Greetings!
>
>As was announced in Our court at Gulf War, We are sponsoring an Ansteorran
>patriotic song competition.  The rules for this contest are as follows:
<snip>

Unto Their Stellar Majesties, Alaric and Kayleigh,
does Padraig Ruad O'Maolagain send greetings.

Your Majesties, being wise, know that nothing inspires a bard like a challenge.  To that end, I submit the following work:

                            The Black and Gold

The King stood on the castle wall, surveying all his lands
And all was peaceful as could be before his outstretched hand
Then from the border came the words that made his blood run cold
The enemy was massing there to take the Black and Gold

To take the Black and Gold, oh to take the Black and Gold
The enemy was massing there to take the Black and Gold

"To arms!  To arms!" the King did cry, and summoned all his knights
"Though peace has reigned for many years, the time has come to fight!
"Go gather all your men-at-arms, the youngest to the old,
"The enemy we must defeat to save the Black and Gold."

To save the Black and Gold, oh to save the Black and Gold
The enemy we must defeat to save the Black and Gold

The call was heard throughout the land, "Take up your sword and shield!
"For now our land we must defend upon the battle field.
"And every drop of our red blood so dearly will be sold!
"For never shall the enemy come near the Black and Gold!"

Come near the Black and Gold, oh come near the Black and Gold
For never shall the enemy come near the Black and Gold

The warriors did swiftly arm and marched throughout the night
Arriving at the border strongholds at the morning light
Though weary from their travels, they would not pause or hold
But fell into the battle to protect the Black and Gold

Protect the Black and Gold, oh protect the Black and Gold
But fell into the battle to protect the Black and Gold

The battle raged throughout the day and on into the night
Our warriors stood strong against the enemy's great might
And when the second day did dawn, this story would be told:
No enemy remained alive to seek the Black and Gold

To seek the Black and Gold, oh to seek the Black and Gold
No enemy remained alive to seek the Black and Gold

The warriors turned home again amid the people's cheers
Again they'd met the challenge and had overcome the fear
The King proclaimed them victors, and named them heroes bold
The cry went up throughout the land, "Vivat the Black and Gold!"

Vivat the Black and Gold, oh Vivat the Black and Gold,
The cry went up throughout the land, Vivat the Black and Gold!

Vivat the Black and Gold, oh Vivat the Black and Gold,
The cry went up throughout the land, Vivat the Black and Gold!

In Service to Ansteorra.
Padraig Ruad O'Maolagain
of House Mac an Ghabhann

--