ES - Various

Padraig Ruad O'Maolagain padraig_ruad at irishbard.com
Fri Mar 24 11:06:18 PST 2000

"Susan Brockington" <susanb at unt.edu> said -
<snip>
>2) I know I was at war, and have read all of the e-mails, but I have
>somehow manage to miss how Marmaduke (now) Treebane earned
>his name.  Would someone like to clear this up for me?

If you knew everything that went on at the War, you weren't really there. :)

Seriously, though, this is how it was told to me.  In the Resurrection Battle in the ravine on Thursday, Marmaduke was part of an advancing line on our right flank, facing the Trimarian left flank, where they kept trying to break through.  At the proper moment, Airaklee called for a heavy cavalry charge.  Marmaduke did just as we had practiced so many times; head down, shield up and into a weak spot in the Trimarian line.  He literally blasted through their line, and again as we had practiced, kept moving full speed forward to establish a new skirmish line.  Unfortunately, immediately behind the Trimarian line was a tree, which didn't yield nearly so well as the Trimarian fighters had.  Marmaduke hit it squarely, badly bending his aircraft aluminum shield, and stunning himself in the process.  He told me later that all he could think at the time was that an enemy fighter had gotten him with a tremendous blow, and he was trying to turtle up under his shield when he was helped from the field.  Sean stood on the shield to straighten it out somewhat, but it still had a huge, sharply angled bend in it when I saw him back in camp later.  And after the first field battle on Friday, he really did say to me, and I quote directly, "Sixty Trimarians aren't as tough as one tree."

Padraig

--
Nunc Est Bibendum