ES - Labeling the "Unaligned" Camp

Antigonus Bearbait antigonus at mailcity.com
Thu Mar 30 07:21:59 PST 2000

--

On Wed, 29 Mar 2000 14:58:20   INEZ ADAMS wrote:
>I firmly believe that there is a place in the society for culture camps,
>However I also feel
>there should be an unaligned camp.

Antigonus here --

Truth be told, I did enjoy the culture camps at the couple of Defenders I have attended since I have come into the SCA.  They do so add to the depth and the tapestry of the medieval paradigm that we try to create.  They helped me learn a great deal about the cultures they were representing.

I do, though, understand very much the need for camping areas outside the "cultural" areas.  And though there are not enough of us around to make up a Classical encampment, I have enjoyed participating in other cultures than my own persona.  But, it is only considerate to have areas where people whose personas do not fit in a given encampment (or perhaps if they simply don't want to participate) to have a place to camp -- exterior to both cultures and households.

Though, I do have a feeling on labeling it the "Unaligned" camp -- it seems to have an air of either separatism or outcasting.  I don't mean to sound picky here, really.  Instead of having an area designated for "everybody else," why not just have open camping areas that are not reserved for a given culture or household?

Please forgive me if I am stating (or over-stating) the obvious here.  It is simply a thought.

Tiggy

Send FREE April Fool's Greetings to your friends!
http://www.whowhere.lycos.com/redirects/American_Greetings.rdct