ES - A new mathematical principle

baron at elfsea.ansteorra.org baron at elfsea.ansteorra.org
Tue May 30 11:09:14 PDT 2000

Galen's Postulate

A Good Day for the Steppes = A Good Day for Elfsea

What a great weekend this was!  Congratulations all
'round!

Congratulations to our sister barony, the Steppes, on
such a highly successful (weather notwithstanding)
Steppes Warlord Tourney.

Congratulations to:
- Duke Kein MacEwan (my former squire, as I will never
stop bragging), on being created a Master of the Pelican,
and the new Warlord of the Steppes (Sunday evening I
shook his shoulder saying, "Kein, Kein, wake up!  It's
time to go to Steppes Warlord!")

- Mistress Xene Theriani, lately Baroness of Elfsea, on
her induction into the Order of the Pelican

- Master Phelim (Pug) Gervase, friend of everyone on-
line, without whom we would have no mailing lists, and
much worse on-line presence, on his elevation to the
Order of the Pelican

(It is a matter of no small pride for me that all three
of these were given medallions that I have worn:
Mistress Xene received my own medallion, Master Kein
received the "Knights'" Pelican medallion [a carved
medallion depicting a pelican in its piety within the
circular chain of a knight, which was commissioned for me
by my lady wife Allessandra, created on one week's notice
by HL Caireen of Cu Ruadh Keep, and worn by myself,
Master Kief, Master Burke, Master Karl, Master Henri, and
now Master Kein], and Master Pug received from Mistress
Clare a medallion donated by Master Richard, which he
received from me.  We peers are so sentimental!)

- Sir Duncan Arthur Ross of the Sable Star, our friend
and neighbor, on his Knighthood -- I was honored to be
asked to speak as a Pelican on this occasion

- Lord Fearghus McKenna, of Elfsea, Royal Huntsman of
Ansteorra and Archery Champion of the Steppes, each
bearing regalia that will go so well with his Guardian of
the Tor collar.  (I unmercifully teased Don Sebastian,
who has several times served as both Defender of Elfsea
and Guardian of the Tor, about being unable to shoot due
to a recent injury, then offered to console him by
assuring him that Fearghus would have won anyway.  When
he offered his most polite conjecture regarding my
constituent substance -- translation: he told me what I
was full of -- I cheerfully invited him to come and prove
it at Elfsea Defender in the fall.)

- Don Duncan Hepburn, Rapier Guardian of the Tor, on his
induction into the Order of the Oak (who received his
White Scarf at Elfsea Springfaire, c.f. "Galen's
Postulate", above)

- Baron Athelstan AEthelmearson, Elfsea's good friend and
the new Bard of the Steppes, who won out over 27 other
competitors, fully a third of whom hailed from Elfsea and
its Cantons, and all of them performed better than I've
ever heard them do.

- Ciaren, of Dragsonfire Tor, who won both the spear and
knife throws.

- Cormac MacDomnaill, of Loch Ruadh, who won the 9 Men's
Morris Competition

- Baroness Allessandra of Elfsea, who won honorable
mention for her on-site embroidery entry

- Lady Lavina, of Glaslyn, who became Mistress Stella's
apprentice

- Lord Caelin, Seneschal of Elfsea, who became Master
Richard's protege

- Lord Antigonus, of Elfsea, who became Master Robin's
apprentice,

- Lady Marguerite, of Bordermarch, our good friend and
favorite pavillion-maker, who became Mistress Larissa's
apprentice

- Mistress Stella, Master Richard, Master Robin, and
Mistress Larissa, on their new apprentices and proteges.

We'd like to thank Fritz & Catrin, Baron & Baroness of
the Steppes, for the hospitality extended to us at this
event.

Likewise, thanks to all the many people who did so much
great work: marshals, security, waterbearers, gate, and
many, many more, especially our poor overworked
chirurgeons, who did more at this event than in a normal
year -- and to all those who did such a poor job of
taking care of yourselves, not drinking enough water,
etc., consider yourselves rebuked.

Steppes has added another Warlord Tourney to its history,
an event worthy to be associated with such a grand
tradition of the 26 previous Steppes Warlord events.
Where Elfsea helped, we were happy to do, and our
fighters, participants and attendees had a great time.

Thank you Steppes!

And hey!  If you're free next weekend, why not drop in on
us at the Texas Scottish Festival at UTA Maverick
Stadium?

- Galen of Bristol
Baron of Elfsea