Novice A&S at Spring Faire

Wainwright-Sims, Jewell jwainwright at taylorpub.com
Fri May 19 07:05:58 PDT 2000

Please forgive my tardiness in posting this information, but my mundane

job
has been very hectic this week.  Is there no way we can play at SCA
full
time and get paid for it?

The Novice A&S competition at Spring Faire was more successful than I
had
hoped with 13 artisans entering 18 items in the contest. Please join me

in
congratulating and giving word fame to these aspiring artisans:

	The judges' favorite was Asa Hrafnasdottir who entered an
embroidered child's Norse 	apron which scored a perfect 10 and a linen
underdress with braided silk belt which 	scored a 9.
	The populace favorite was Judith Elena Crissi (Bladesworthy) with
her entry of a 	pearl encrusted Tudor court gown.  Judith also scored a

9
from the judges.
	Marguerite des Fleurs also scored a 9 from the judges for her Tudor
tent and 	impressive documentation on period pavilions.
	William Palfrey was a close populace favorite with his 9th century
Norse oil lamp as 	was Donald Mac Donald with his Tablut game set.
	Gwenhuyvar verch Morgant Dedwydd enterered 3 items, bobbin lace, a
pewter 	token made from a soapstone mold, and a chain mail belt.
	Lavinia del Bakhous displayed blackwork, redwork, and a late Italian
beaded bodice 	and sleeves.
	Young (age 14) Cormac Mac Domnail entered torques and kilt pins.
	Angus MacKinon entered a wooden English chest and his first attempt
at brewing 	Irish stout.
	Caelin on Andred also exhibited his first attempt at brewing mead.
	Medb Llath entered a nice spinning display.
	Lydia Cordellia Sprague exhibited a lovely Elizabethan ruff.
	And Sean O'Nolan displayed a leather child's pouch.

Thank you artisans, judges and voting populace for making this an
outstanding competition.

Ldy Julianna Vertue
Minister of A&S
Barony of Elfsea