ES - Story of the Arthurian Company

Karie Mitchell allessandre at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 6 11:33:23 PST 2000

>How and why did the Arthurain company first form?

There may be others better at telling this story, but I guess I can commit a
few words to it.

It was the year of Jean Richard II's reign, and again the Trimarian foes
came to meet us at the crossroads of Meridies.  The battles were hot and
bloody, but the evenings full of merriment and entertainment, liken unto the
Halls of Valhalla or Camelot.

Combatants from Elfsea came with the Baron of Elfsea, Lord Llwellyn ap
Griffydd, and we fought although not always together.  Some had allegiences
here, some there, while others gave none, save it was to be on the side of
Ansteorra and her forces.  We had some victories, and personal renoun was
won (but those are other tales).  But what struck me at that war, was the
Lion-Dragon Guard.

These people were from the North of our fair country.  They dressed in a
uniform, marched in file, and drilled as a team.  They _fought_ as a team.
I do not know how effective they were on the field, but they seemed to exude
a sense of confidence, and an air of command.  Thrills went through me
everytime I saw them march upon the field.  Victory or defeat did not
matter. It was seeing them together, a whole group of men and women,
swearing in arms to face the Trimarian challenge together.

I reported to my Baron and he agreed with what I saw and felt.  He said that
he too would like to see our Barony host a combat unit, like the Lion-Dragon
Guard.  And soon it was so.  At our yearly faire "in Scotland", the first
troops were sworn in.  And so the company was named "The Arthurian Company".
  It was called that for our first Baron, Sir Arthur of the Fen, and also
for the greatest king of England, King Arthur Pendragon, Knight of the Round
Table.

Since that time, many brave deeds have been done, many great battles fought.
  I have had the privelege to serve in the unit, and hope someday, to do so
again.

Sincerely,
Alessandra Desiderio