ES - Off topic and way out of period

Shelly Edwards shelly at pandora.org
Tue Nov 28 19:42:47 PST 2000

I know this is way off topic and out of period but I was excited to see it
and had to share it with my friends.  This is from a company in London and
about my cousin.

Rebekah

  Welcome to the Christmas mailer. This issue is a little different to
normal;
  it's more a review of the year' than the usual reviews of new releases.
The
  exception to this is our album of the month, a great new album from
Chicago
  based singer/songwriter Bob Collum - a name we'll all be hearing more of
in
  the future, 'Low Rent Romeo' is a disc that will appeal to everyone.
  Looking back over the last year it's been an excellent period for
releases;
  there have been so many great albums available it's been difficult to pick
  our top 10 - hope you agree with at least some of our list..
  This mailer is available on our website, with album covers and formatted
  text -
  http://www.fishrecords.co.uk/xmas00mail.html
  This months competition is for a variety of signed discs, posters & free
  discs - great prizes and the entry form is
  http://www.fishrecords.co.uk/xmascomp.html
  Album of the Month
  Bob Collum - Low Rent Romeo
  Low Rent Romeo' is the second solo release from Chicago based Bob Collum,
  and it's a release that, if there's any justice, will see him known as one
  of the very best singer/songwriters around.
  The 12 tracks on display here cover a wide a variety of styles, but it's
  best described as contemporary folk with a pop/rock edge - it's a
wonderful
  combination that has the best of all worlds; great lyrics & musicians, and
  it's full of hooks - what more could you ask for?
  On first listen the songs are refreshing and immediately appealing, but
it's
  the consistency of the disc that impresses the most - it never lets up,
good
  track follows good track and there's definitely no filler on here.
  It's difficult to highlight tracks from albums as solid as this, but the
  melody and lyrics on 'Empty Hands of Love' combined with the great
interplay
  between the acoustic guitar and fiddle make it obvious choice. Other
  standouts include the final song 'Laws of Gravity', a disarmingly simple
  acoustic track, and the folk-pop of the opener, 'Falling Blue'.
  Throw in intelligent & subtle use of instrumentation, and excellent
  production that works well on the variety of song styles and you have one
of
  the best discs to come through our doors this or any year.
  It only has to be a matter of time before a big label comes in and picks
the
  disc up - pioneering listeners should make sure they grab their copies of
  the disc earlier.
  £11.99
  Samples
  http://www.fishrecords.co.uk/audio/empty.ram
  http://www.fishrecords.co.uk/audio/falling.ram
  http://www.fishrecords.co.uk/audio/lawsof.ram
  http://www.fishrecords.co.uk/audio/untitled.ram
  http://www.fishrecords.co.uk/mp3/empty.mp3 (Full MP3)

  Thanks to everyone for their support and custom over the last 12 months -
  Fish Records has now almost completed it's second year, and we keep
growing
  and going from strength to strength - things have certainly come a long
way
  from Issue 1 of the mailer.
  Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or queries.
  best wishes
  Neil
  Fish Records
  Suppliers of singer/songwriter, folk & acoustic music
  Shrewsbury, England
  neil at fishrecords.co.uk
  tel +44 (0) 1743 231546
  fax +44 (0) 1743 354354

  "Faith is the bird that sings while it is still dark"