ES - Fwd: Fw: Please do this!

Christine Fink maria_elfsea at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 30 12:14:30 PST 2000

Well, said Your Excellancy! But, I am sympathetic to both sides.

Laura has only come to one populace meeting so far and 1 maybe 2 events (her
first was Defender).

When I first joined, I was given the chance to go to Baronial College and
was able to take SCA 101. In this class, Lady Bridgette did a wonderful job
telling us how one should behave. I was also given wonderful advice from
Lady Ameline before College of what to say and not say on this list. Before
I joined I went to fighter practice to see what the SCA was all about and to
see if this was something we as a family wanted to do, Eleanor and Sebastian
talked to me and told me of all the fun they had and how everyone was
expected to behave in a chivalrous and kind manner to one another.

Unfortunately, Laura has not been afforded these luxuries. After her first
Populace meeting, Phelippe and I talked to her about how wonderful and kind
we all are in this Barony. But, we didn't have much time because my
halflings were getting tired and very cranky, so we needed to get home and
put them to bed.

On Kateryne's side of the fence...I can sympathize wih her, too. My personal
e-mail box used to get flooded with these types (not just Christian) of
messages and attachments. When I did receive religous related e-mails, I,
too feel like I am being preached at. I **really** hate that. I'm a very
quiet person religously. I don't believe in telling the gospel to others
because I know it makes me uncomfortable and I start looking for the door
when others do it to me. I have always believed that the best way to teach
is by example of one's own behavior. But, I do love to listen to others
views on their religion and what they do and don't believe in. I find it
very fascinating, especially when my faith and it's teaching or practices
are so close to theirs. One of my favorite jobs that I had a few years ago
was being a nursery worker for the Jewish Synagogue here in Arlington. The
rabbi always paid me after services and if my little ones weren't too tired,
we would have good-natured (and often humorous) religous debates.

Well, this is just my $.02 and I'll get off my soap box before I make
someone too angry.

Maria