ES - Single Parenting WAS -- ST - Glass Beadmaking Open Studio Night

Christine Fink maria_elfsea at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 6 08:34:48 PDT 2000

Buenos Dias!

I've watched this thread for the last couple of days. As a single parent
myself, I must comment:

Lord Caerell:
As Ameline said she meant no offense. She is right about *some* dad's not
getting involved. Children really look up to our lords in this kingdom. Take
Ryan, my son, for example. He worships the ground that the heavy and light
fighters walk on. Unfortunately, their mundane father does not spend any
time with either of them and they are both craving male attention. If you
watch Diane around Phelippe, you can see she just adores him because he pays
attention to her. Ameline just wants to see more of our lords get involved
with entertaining our children. Don't do arts and crafts? Teach them about
the martial arts. At Queen's Champion, the lord running the children's area
(I don't remember his name) taught the children military marches and
strategy...they just loved it!  As far as your parenting, you are to be
commended! There are not too many fathers who are willing to do what you
have done and do it as well as you have done. I have always enjoyed the
company of your sons.

To the Barony:
Please don't come down too hard on Lord Caerell. Being a single parent is
still not easy in this mundane society. Though there have been many
improvements in our mundane society, there are still many social stigmas and
labels against single parenting. I always feel that I am under a magnifying
glass when it comes to my parenting skills bacause I am a single parent.
Therefore, I always feel that I have to prove I am a good parent. I know I'm
not the only single parent out there who feels the same (I used to belong to
Parents without Partners and this was a topic we covered one night and
nearly everyone agreed with these statements). I don't know about Lord
Carell, but I joined the SCA because I wanted an activity we could do as a
family. The SCA has become a way for me to escape these mundane social
stigmas, forget my financial situtation and forget about my ex-spouse. I'm
not saying that being a parent with a spouse is any less difficult, just
that as single parents we are looked upon differently and sometimes more
harshly.

I aplogize if I have angered anyone, but I it kills me to see our lords and
ladies angry at each other. Everyone here in our Barony has become like
family to me and I care very deeply for all of you.

Maria

----Original Message Follows----
Dear Laird Caerell,
    I take no offence at your comment YOU are taking up your parental
responsibility.I am sorry you have been hurt by my comment,it is to the
parents who are not helping,<I'm sure they just forget>.I am making
reference to.In all the children's activities I have done I always see one
to six moms help or at least checking on their kids.In that whole time I
have had three fathers......three, help with their kids.This is a huge
difference in numbers.Kids get so much from male influences I would like to
see more dads helping me.Again I am so sorry if my words caused you to stop
coming to moot,but I feel I can not change how I feel about the lack of male
influence at the MOC level.My office will be up for grabs soon feel free to
take it up and you might see what I mean.If you would like to speak with me
in privet my e-mail is at the bottom.Or call me my number is in the scroll.

 >It is like saying that just because I am not a Woman I can't do a good job
raising my two boys, and that >is BULL!

Caerell,
   I think men are great with kids.That's why I want their input and
help.When men interact with kids they often mind better and listen better .I
hope you can hear the true respect I have for fathers next time I speak and
not take offence.

Lady Ameline Du Bois - Ameline at generich.com
Elfsea Minister of Children
Protege to Master Richard Fairbourne